I know what you're thinking..."Teresa camps?" Though it is true that I think nature in all of its dirtiness is very overrated, there are certain things that a woman will do for her family that she would otherwise turn her nose up at. For me, that thing is camping. I don't love the packing up, the seemingly endless drive to the campground, the dirt, the wild animals, the lack of amenities, or the mountains of laundry that seem to come as part of the package, but somewhere in the middle there, I find my happy place and become "one" with nature. I attribute this oneness to my, "fake it till you make it" philosophy, and will continue to do just that until my children and husband outgrow their camping stage. (So probably for the remainder of my time here on earth).
This years trip was extra special (can you hear the sarcasm) in that we arrived at our campsite just in time for a torrential downpour. I'm not even exaggerating! There was more rain in the first 3 hours of our trip than in the entire week preceding it. We were cold, we were wet, and we were muddy - it was hilarious! The kids were really great about it, and the men were awesome as they set up camp wearing black garbage bags as ponchos to keep them from getting soaked to the bone. The women, well we did what we do best - we opened the wine, got out the snacks, and we tried our best to stay out of the way. After that first night, as we slowly dried out, we began to have lots more fun and were able to laugh at the ridiculousness of our trips' beginning.
Here are a few highlights...
Waiting out the storm.
Fun with friends!
That was exhausting!
No comments:
Post a Comment