Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kindergarten?

Our little Cody is due to begin kindergarten next fall. I can hardly believe that my baby is really ready for school, but he is. So, as we gear up for this major transition, Jay and I have been spending numerous hours talking about our hopes and dreams for the children's educations. Today we spent the morning touring and observing in a kindergarten classroom, in order to get a better feel for our options. Though I don't think the school that we visited is the school for us, it helped both of us to more clearly see what features of an educational program are most important to us. Jay wants a school with quality extra-curricular activities and high test scores. I really need a program with structure that will challenge Cody, while at the same time let him be a kid. Though I am confident that there is a school out there that can accommodate both of our needs, I do have a back-up plan if necessary. My back-up - bring him to my school for kindergarten. It is not ideal, but at least I know the teachers and the curriculum, and (selfishly) I would get to see him every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment