Saturday, November 8, 2008
baby signs
I learned about baby signing when Cody was about 5 months old. I had heard about it from a friend and thought it was an interesting idea, certainly worth trying. My hope was that it would provide us with a means to communicate about his needs and would result in less frustration and random acts of crying on both our parts. So, I bought a book and a video, and began teaching Cody some of the more useful signs. He signed his first word at about 8 months - "more." When Emma came along I resolved to begin her baby signing education earlier, in order to hopefully give her the means to express herself before all of the crying and frustration set in. So, I once again got out the book and the video, and began to teach her some signs, Today, while I was feeding her, she signed her first word - "milk." It took me a while to figure out what she was doing, so I kept pulling the bottle out of her mouth, which made her sign frantically until I put it back in. I thought she was sooo clever, so I called Jay and Cody over and proceeded to continue to pull the bottle out of her mouth so that they could see her sign. (Not my best parenting move - but I was just so excited!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay!! How cool! I didn't start with Tatum until she was nine months old and she was almost a year before she did her first sign. I wish I had started earlier, but better late than never :)
ReplyDeleteThat is great. Bry has just started with all done and more. Andon still uses the sign for more, especially when he is really frustrated.
ReplyDeleteI started Brandon at 9 months and he picked it up almost immediately. Sophia was quite proficient at about 6 months. Our favorites were more, all done, apple, banana, milk and cereal. They both still do more to emphasize when they REALLY want something (and I'm ignoring them!)
ReplyDelete