Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Proceed with caution!

A terrible thing happened at our house this afternoon...

There I was vacuuming the living room, minding my own business, when Cody comes out of his room and says, "Mommy, I had a little accident in my underpants." I, the mother of the year that I am, don't turn the vacuum off and ask him any questions, but merely shrug my shoulders and tell him to go clean himself up. Moments later over the humming of the vacuum, I hear Cody calling for help. As I walk into the bathroom I am immediately overcome by the smell of poop. After I recover from the smell, I look closer and see that the smell is the least of my concerns. There is poop everywhere! Now when I say everywhere, I am not exaggerating - on the floor, on the cabinets, on the wall, on my shower towel, and on Cody. What a mess! It is then, as I gaze at my recently cleaned and scoured bathroom, that I realize my mistake. I made a very human and I think logical error - I assumed that when Cody told me that he had had an accident, that he meant a tiny, easily rectified by a change of underpants, pee in the pants accident. I guess that's what I get for assuming. Lesson learned!

There I go making this all about me, back to the story... Poor Cody was equally traumatized by this experience. When I asked him how this all happened he explained that when he was trying clean the poop from his underpants by shaking them (apparently very violently) into the toilet, "poop just kept going all over everything and I didn't know how to make it stop." After we got everything and everyone cleaned up, Cody said to me, "Mommy, I don't want to have any more accidents - It's too disgusting."

What a day!

1 comment:

  1. I was cracking up when I read this! I can just picture little Cody doing this. He was just trying to be a good boy by cleaning up his accident. Poor kid!

    ReplyDelete