Monday, September 29, 2008
The "Baby Deer"
Cody brought his first imaginary friend home from school today. When I picked him up this afternoon, he ran to me, holding out his cupped (empty) hands, and exclaimed, " Mommy, look at my baby deer." For the life of me I did not know how to respond. I just stood there dumbstruck for a few moments while he prattled on about how he and Lily Marie had found the baby deer out on the playground by the swings. He then grabbed my arm, said goodbye to his teacher, and dragged me out to the swings to see where the baby deer came from. At this point I found my tongue and began asking questions about the baby deer and pretending that this whole thing was completely normal. (It is right?) We then left school and walked to the car. Here, Cody politely asked me if I would hold the baby deer while he climbed up into his seat. I did. (It was very strange.) At numerous times throughout the evening I have been given instructions relating to the baby deer - for example: "Mom, my baby deer needs to take a bath too," and "Mom, you have to whisper or you'll wake up my baby deer." Once, I was even reprimanded for sitting on the baby deer. I did not have any imaginary friends growing up, but I know some children do - but again I have to ask - this is normal, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Define normal (he he). It's normal at our house, too. I often have to strap a baby bear into the other carseat or set a fourth place at the table for my invisible niece. I think it's cute :)
ReplyDeleteI had a whole slew of imaginary pets growing up (but I'm not normal). They lived behind one of the bricks with a hair-line fracture around it in our fire place mantle. I believed I could remove this brick and let them out. They were exotic pets: zebra, giraffes, etc.
ReplyDeleteBrandon has imaginary rescue people that live in his room. Paramedics, firemen, policemen. They protect him from the scratchy monster.