Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What a day!

Since Jay is out of town all week, I have been living the life of a single parent. It's HARD! Besides all of the usually follies that come with the territory when you have two small kids, I'm pretty sure that my children are out to get me. Let me explain... My day started at about 4:30 this morning with Cody coming in to tell me that he had to go potty. (For whatever reason, he always feel the need to announce his business to Jay and I - whether the timing is right or not.)After he did his business, I sent him back to bed, and went in to feed Emma, who had awoken with a hungry cry. At around 5:45 I emerged from my shower to find Cody playing race cars on the living room floor, emphatically claiming that he was no longer tired, and couldn't sleep. I readied myself, helped Cody pick out clothes, got Emma dressed, and packed up the multitude of things that one must drag around when playing single mommy. When everything was all set, I turned to let Cody know that it was time to go, and there he was - passed out cold on the couch! I woke the poor kid up, wrestled him into the car, and went back into the house to load up Emma. Just as I lifted her up to put her in her car seat, we had a major diaper malfunction. I changed both mine and Emma's clothes, loaded her up, and finally made it out the door.

I went to work, yada, yada, yada, and then picked the kiddos up from school.

On top of everything else, it also happened that it was Back to School Night at my school. Again, Jay is out of town, so I racked my brains and finally came up with a plan that I thought was quite genius. I had one of my colleagues' daughter watch the kids in the classroom next to mine while I did my BTS night presentation. Sounds good in theory, right? Well, about 20 minutes into my presentation I hear Cody calling from the back of the classroom. "Mommy, I need you." I blush, giggle nervously, and explain to my audience that this is my son, while trying to figure out what exactly Cody could possibly need. He scrambles up to me in the front of the room and whispers loudly, "I need a hug and a kiss mommy." I quickly oblige, amidst giggles and sighs from our audience, and send him back next door. Don't get me wrong, I love that he indulges in random acts of hugging and kissing mommy, but really - he has got to work on his timing.

What a day!!! Jay comes home on Friday - we can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Whew! I'm exhausted just reading that post! Hang in there, the weekend is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the "Mommy I need a kiss," is too funny! I can't believe I didn't hear about that in the teacher's room. Gotta love that kid!

    ReplyDelete